Career Level Associate
Experience 2 Years
(Personal Note: I’ve been serving on the board of directors of WhyHunger for years. This new full time position pays more than you think and you’ll be working with some of the best people I know to make a difference. Please study up on our organization, do the homework, send us a perfect cover letter and I’d be honored to connect you. Rob)
WhyHunger believes a world without hunger is possible. We provide critical resources to support grassroots movements and fuel community solutions rooted in social, environmental, racial and economic justice. We are working to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food in the U.S. and around the world. Learn more at WhyHunger.org
WhyHunger is adhering to State and City guidelines, along with staff input, to protect employees during the COVID-19 pandemic. Candidates must be able to work remotely until at least May 2021 and be available to work from a NYC-based office after that date as needed.
WhyHunger is seeking a dynamic, creative Digital Communications Assistant to utilize digital & social media to help tell WhyHunger’s story, shift narratives, engage supporters and elevate our programmatic work in the digital space. A key member of the Communications team, the Digital Communications Assistant will have the opportunity to help shape and amplify WhyHunger’s social media presence and utilize digital communication tools to further our mission. The right candidate will thrive as a valued member of a small, collaborative and diverse team with great respect to varying cultural backgrounds & traditions. The Digital Communications Assistant reports to the Communications Manager.
· Help to plan, manage and execute WhyHunger’s social media strategy across platforms, including day-to-day posting, engagement, tracking and analytics.
· Design, draft and publish social and digital content that reflects WhyHunger’s voice, values and mission
· Work closely with Communications Manager to help develop digital communication strategies to grow WhyHunger’s audience and increase engagement, including creative content, paid social media advertising and leveraging multimedia assets
· Assist in executing digital communications strategies and campaigns across platforms, including external collaborations
· Edit, organize and maintain WhyHunger’s digital assets, including images and videos
· Assist in writing as needed, including but not limited to blog posts, web copy, social posts and any necessary internal communications.
· Help coordinate the growth and effectiveness of WhyHunger’s blog and e-newsletter
· Track data analytics, report on and help refine tactics for digital communication strategies
· Follow social media and digital communication trends and tools, making recommendations and offering ideas.
· Monitor social media for issues affecting WhyHunger and engage in active social listening
· Bring creative ideas for social and digital audience engagement
Core Competencies: The right candidate is a savvy digital communicator with strong attention to detail who thrives in a fast-paced environment. Candidate must have:
· A passion for WhyHunger’s mission to end hunger and advance the human right to nutritious food
· Demonstrated commitment to racial, social, economic, and environmental justice and a desire to be part of an anti-racist organizational culture.
· 1-2 years of relevant experience with social media and digital communications
· Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience in communications, marketing or related field
· Ability to write compelling content and create basic graphic elements for various digital platforms.
· Ability to effectively communicate complex ideas in the digital and social space.
· Familiarity and hands-on experience with social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube, as well as associated analytic tools
· Hands-on experience with digital platforms, including blogs and e-newsletters
· Experience organizing digital assets: photos, videos, audio files
· Experience developing multimedia storytelling content, memes, digital graphics, campaign elements or other creative assets
· Ability to work on multiple projects, juggle priorities and manage time efficiently
· Highly organized and comfortable in a deadline-driven role
· Flexibility, initiative, and a sense of humor
· A self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as part of a diverse team
· Basic skills in WordPress, photography and video editing are a plus
· Ability to occasionally work evening events and travel as needed
The Digital Communications Assistant reports to the Communications Manager.
Salary & Benefits:
WhyHunger is committed to internal pay equity and livable wages. The salary range for an Assistant level position is $50-$55K, commensurate with experience. Employee will be eligible for WhyHunger’s generous benefits package, which includes health insurance, paid vacation, 403(b) retirement plan and more. Full details will be provided.
WhyHunger is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to being a diverse, inclusive and anti-racist organization. We provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical conditions, disability, genetic information or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.