Experience 7 Years
Complex Networks is a global lifestyle video, brand, and media company jointly owned by Hearst and Verizon, and is one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels. It is a top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, and Snapchat.
Complex is seeking a Director of Business Development for its newly formed creative agency / evolving branded content studio.
The Director of Business Development is an established business and advertising professional with (7+ YEARS) experience leading business development efforts for ad agencies. The Director of Business Development will lead all new business efforts in the pursuit of both AOR and project-based opportunities for the new agency. The Director of BD will facilitate prospecting efforts in partnership with other key leaders, with an emphasis on supporting both the growth of the agency and the enhancement of the agency’s reputation.
- The Director of Business Development will be primarily responsible for leading the business development efforts of the agency – emphasis on driving overall revenue in 2019 with a mix of AOR business and project work.
- Will lead the prospecting process through a combination of active outreach, consultant relationships, and coordination of outreach efforts by other leaders.
- Leads the new business pitch process for Complex, with support from other disciplines as required.
- Act as strategic decision maker for the pitch team and lead writer/editor of the agency submissions.
- Provide oversight, direction and approval of materials for each pitch, including presentations, written submissions, and cost proposals.
- Work with client, account and finance team to develop scope of work and fee structure for each project or AOR submission.
- Coordinate with the ECD on review and approvals of all creative materials for submission.
- For successful pitch efforts, transition oversight to Account leadership at the point of contract negotiations, ensuring visibility and early inclusion of Finance and Legal Counsel before negotiations commence.
- To support the recurring request from prospective clients to “meet their team” during the pitch that will work on the business, the Director of Business Development will act as the Transition Account Lead to onboard the client for 3-6 months.
- Partner with Account lead to staff the new client team consistent with the SOW and establish the transition plan and timing to migrate the new business into Account Management oversight.
- The Director of Business Development will manage an annual new business budget, ensuring any potential overages or high-cost opportunities are thoroughly evaluated and discussed with Complex leadership.
- Conduct a minimum of twice-monthly briefings to the Complex leadership on business development status for the agency and prepare new business inputs for Complex Quarterly Finance Meetings.
The Director of Business Development will initially be a team of one focused on the daily operations of business development, with support from internal personnel as needed. Duties will include:
- Maintain active prospecting lists
- Monitor primary sources for new business leads, including industry trades, direct marketing efforts, and inbound/web-based opportunities
- Act as primary point of contact on Complex agency web properties, with search consultants and other outlets
- Coordinate with leadership to ensure full integration of press efforts, newsworthy creative, and other reputation-enhancing activity that can support new business
- Leverage business background and experience winning and managing business to support talent development for the agency.
- Experienced: 7+ years minimum experience in agency business development roles, and/or similar
- In-tune: with youth culture across Complex’s passion points – sports, style, sneakers, music and pop culture.
- Knowledgeable: of Complex channels, shows, and content and already an avid consumer with ideas that can integrate seamlessly on Complex’s platforms.
- Collaborative: Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to work independently and co-exist within a team setting.
- Leader: Oversee pitch process from outreach to conversion, guaranteeing the highest standard of work throughout
- Organized: You live by prioritization and organization. You’re a born multitasker who loves to take on a good challenge; especially on a tight deadline. You see the big picture, but your attention to detail is top-notch.
About Complex Networks
Complex is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex Networks generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels and is a Top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. Complex Networks develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture – from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, the company successfully hosted its second ComplexCon event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.