Experience 8 Years +
The Director, Operations will support all operational, financial, legal and process functions for Courageous Studios, the in-house brand content production team of the News division of WarnerMedia (CNN, HLN, Great Big Story, CNN Business). Courageous produces branded content for blue chip advertisers which is distributed across all of WarnerMedia’s News properties, platforms and touchpoints (TV, Digital, Social, Mobile, OTT, Experiential, etc.). The Director, Operations will be a key member of the Courageous Studios management team, supporting the planning, tracking and execution of branded content production, in collaboration with the heads of Creative, Production, Design, and Activation. This person will report to the VP Operations & Activation of the News Content Partnerships team and will have two or more direct reports.
The Director, Operations will liaise with many individuals and teams within the WarnerMedia Ad Sales organization, including sales, marketing, finance, legal, ad products, HR, technology, S&P, and more. This person plays a critical role in the business operations strategy, goals, and infrastructure of Courageous, including developing workflows for maximum efficiency; researching and implementing tools, new vendors and new products for scaling the business; and tracking, analyzing and reporting on key metrics and financials. In addition to operational duties for Courageous, this person will contribute to the Content Partnerships team at large. As Courageous continues to scale and the Content Partnerships team develops and implements ground-breaking, revenue-driving, integrated marketing campaigns, the Director, Operations will help ensure a strong business backbone in today’s rapidly evolving world of branded content and media.
What will you be doing?
- WORKFLOWS: Overseeing and optimizing workflows within Courageous, and between Courageous and the Content Partnerships, Sales, and Sales support teams. Providing support for Courageous’ business as it evolves and scales, specifically among creative, production and design, trouble-shooting and developing new and efficient ways to collaborate. Connecting different divisions within WarnerMedia on scaling Courageous’ role within the evolving digital ad business. Onboarding various WarnerMedia teams and new hires on how to work with Courageous.
- POLICIES: Spearheading and supporting the development and implementation of policies and processes relating to branded content, including licensing, new products and business development, content usage by non-advertiser third parties, watermarking, production guidelines (e.g. conduct on set), etc. Liaising with Standards & Practices as needed.
- CREATIVE OPERATIONS: Participating in both pre-sale and post-sale conversations relating to Courageous concepts and content production, supporting sales and marketing to reinforce operational, legal and financial policies and processes. Joining post-sale kickoff calls and meetings to ensure a smooth start to all branded content projects and to answer operational questions. Partnering closely with post-sale Activation team.
- FINANCIAL OPERATIONS: Collaborating with Compliance, HR, Legal, Finance, Risk, Insurance, other internal and external partners, etc. on Courageous’ needs regarding vendors, payments and policies. Overseeing Operations team and collaborating closely with Director, Production on workflow and responsibilities regarding independent contractors, vendors, talent, field temps, non-production spending, and related internal systems for processing and payments.
- LEGAL: Coordinating with Legal, Sales, Activation and clients/agencies to spearhead drafting and negotiating advertiser agreements for each Courageous project, liaising on all business terms throughout the process, including talent/contributor elements and content usage and licensing policies. Acting as point person between Courageous and our counterparts in Legal and Standards & Practices.
- FINANCIAL/DATA TRACKING & ANALYSIS: Managing and optimizing custom reporting and financial tools (e.g. Content Partnerships Tracker, Courageous Job Status Tracker, Courageous Revenue Report, etc.). Proactively analyzing data points across Courageous and Content Partnerships, from pre-sale and post-sale teams, Finance, Strategic Planning, Yield and others, for business needs and to drive optimization and new sales and revenue opportunities. Collaborating with WarnerMedia Salesforce team for future implementation of custom tools and data functions into broader enterprise uses. Collaborating with VP Operations and Finance partners on annual budget planning and tracking.
- TECHNOLOGY OPERATIONS: Overseeing the Courageous Technology team, Courageous Office/Facility team, and the planned relocation of Courageous’ office in 2020. Maintaining awareness and leading financial planning/reporting of technical and equipment-based capital and operating expense needs throughout the year. Collaborating with the tech lead on needs and decision-making around equipment, software, hardware, depreciation, replacements, server backups, etc. Managing the office lead on spending approvals, storage, vendors, premiums, employee relations, office spaces and access, onboarding, etc.
- LEADERSHIP: Participating as a member of and leader within the Courageous management team, which includes Chief Creative Office, VP Creative, VP Operations & Activation, Director of Production, Head of Design & Development, and Head of Special Projects. Contributing to Courageous business strategy and long-term planning. Delivering daily with a positive, client-focused attitude and a confident, enthusiastic, diplomatic approach — providing valuable analysis and solutions for internal stakeholders and brand clients on complex programs and high-profile WarnerMedia initiatives.
What do we require from you?
10+ years of experience in content production, business operations, integrated marketing, and/or other related experience at a media company, production company, or agency. Strong digital background and analytical skills are essential.
Experience working with legal, financial and HR teams, including budget management and vendor/ partner contract negotiations.
Proven expertise as a business leader operating within a fast-paced creative environment.
Highly organized and detail-oriented, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Proactive collaborator and problem-solver.
Ability to balance multiple priorities, be resourceful and make quick decisions while working in a fast-paced environment.
Comfortable and confident working independently.
Proven leadership skills and ability to manage and mentor junior members of the team.
Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Passionate about brand storytelling and innovations in digital marketing and communications.
Four year college degree preferred.
Experience in multimedia production and/or experiential is a plus.