Experience 8 Years +
Director of Production / Head of Production, Courageous Studios
WarnerMedia’s Brand Studio, Courageous Studios, leads the production of cross-platform branded content for advertisers of CNN, HLN and Great Big Story (GBS). Courageous is a world-class production department based in New York City. It is a highly successful business that experienced exponential growth in 2019 with output of over 500 short and long-form films, multiple high-scale experiential/event executions (a fast-growing area) and numerous other digital assets such as interactives, quizzes, photo essays, infographics, podcasts, and more.
The Director of Production at Courageous will join a thriving operation, liaising with many individuals and teams within the WarnerMedia Ad Sales organization, including sales and marketing, as well as a Who’s Who of blue-chip brand clients and agency partners. Courageous produces bold and relevant work of real interest to the CNN audience; a network available to more than 2 billion people in more than 200 countries and territories, spanning TV, Web, OTT, Social Media, Airports and Mobile and Smart Devices. There is more growth to come for Courageous in 2020 and beyond, and the Director of Production will play a critical role: overseeing the production of ground-breaking, revenue-driving, and where appropriate, purpose-driven, branded content campaigns – shot all over the world; maintaining our near perfect record of on-time and on-budget productions; and helping WarnerMedia push the boundaries of what’s possible in today’s evolving world of marketing and media.
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Now, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
The Day-to-Day Responsibilities:
- Manage, mentor and add to an ever-growing team of talented fulltime and freelance Production professionals including Supervising Producers, Line Producers, Editors, Assistants, Cinematographers and Coordinators. In addition, expect to continue to expand the team in 2020.
- Lead and continue to improve production workflow, cross-department coordination, equipment, post-production and media management strategy.
- Collaborate daily with Courageous Pre-Sale team to scope and price every creative concept that is shared with sales, marketing and advertisers/agencies to ensure compatibility between budget, creative and production assumptions. Operate with flexibility, adaptability and proficiency to scale concepts up or down based on shifts in client budgets / needs.
- Assign and efficiently schedule in-house staff to all projects and understand when workload may require new hires. Oversee the hiring and onboarding of all new temporary production employees.
- Track overall success and progress of each project; determine if and when creative, production, finance or legal issues need to be escalated; supervise and problem-solve with post-sale team as needed (including Courageous, Activation, Sales and clients/agency partners).
- Directly manage production finance elements including overseeing regular cost reporting on all project budgets; handling the distribution and reconciliation of petty cash; coding and actualizing payroll costs; and providing updated estimated final costs to Finance and Operations partners on all production projects.
- Join the Courageous leadership team, which includes Chief Creative Officer, VP Creative, VP Operations & Activation, Director of Operations, Head of Design & Development, and Head of Special Projects. Contribute to Courageous business strategy and long-term planning.
- Deliver daily with a client-focused attitude and a confident, enthusiastic, diplomatic approach – providing valuable solutions for brand clients, complex programs and high-profile WarnerMedia initiatives.
- 8-10+ years’ experience with digital, TV, and/or film production and/or publishing, including 3+ years’ experience producing branded content and/or advertising campaigns. Experience in multimedia production is a plus.
- Thorough understanding on industry costs, day rates and legal parameters
- Experience managing a team of creative/production professionals
- Ability to handle a fast-paced environment and make quick decisions while simultaneously supervising multiple productions
- Familiar with current technology and best practices workflow for field and post productions
- Possesses a network of high-quality talent and vendors
- Understanding of how to prioritize and respond accordingly
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills – client presentation experience is a plus
- Showbiz Budgeting required, familiarity with Farmerswife Scheduling a plus
- Passionate about brand storytelling and innovations in digital marketing and communications.
- BA/BS degree preferred.